BikeMeet

KTM 1290 - Full fat Austrian....

Radar

KTM 1290 - Full fat Austrian....
« on: August 20, 2018, 07:20:40 AM »
Actually tried by a friend of mine, his thoughts on the KTM 1290:

My curiosity  get the better of me...I know I don't need 160bhp or fully electronic suspension, but they've got a 0.9% APR deal going and it'd be rude to refuse the opportunity...so when a truncated meeting at work presented an opportunity, I took it with both hands and tried the full fat KTM 1290

Ok...the blatantly obvious thing....man it's fast....like BMW XR1000 fast, so I was very careful to keep the front end down (£500 excess for any damage!). The seat is hard (I'm getting old I know!) and it dives under braking, though not as bad as the BMW F850GS  I have also ridden recently. The KTMM's TFT screen is great, the bike rides nicely and has awesome brakes...Oh and did I mention is was ballistic fast ?

The telly is good...

Nice details...somewhere to hang the chain while the back wheel is out...

I Just need to get used to revving it more than the BMW GS1200 I  currently own to keep it in the sweet spot for more Warp speed acceleration. Flies in the ointment are the lack of kit; for example no heated grips on  £15k Adventure bike is ridiculous! Then there is the £10k depreciation over three years (worse than the BMW!!). In my heart of hearts I know that the smaller 1090 would more than exceed my requirements....its just that I "know" for 19MY an updated TFT screen is imminent for the 1090 to get rid of the clunky thing that's currently fitted...which would make it perfecto (relatively speaking)

Sounds like he was impressed!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:24:48 PM by Radar »

Re: KTM 1290 - Brief Review
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 04:46:53 PM »
Not convinced by the styling on these things but nice to know it handles and goes well. That 10k depreciation in 3 years would probably give me a more elevated heart rate than riding the thing though...

Radar

Re: KTM 1290 - Brief Review
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 12:27:46 AM »
Not convinced by the styling on these things but nice to know it handles and goes well. That 10k depreciation in 3 years would probably give me a more elevated heart rate than riding the thing though...

It is a chunk of change isn't it??!!!