BikeMeet

What is the bare minimum required for an MOT test?

What is the bare minimum required for an MOT test?
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
I see rusty old motorcycles with desirable number plates that are not MOT tested - basically a bag of bits. If you want the plate to be transferred to another vehicle, I understand that the bike has to have a current MOT certificate.

What is the minimum that a bike can be rebuilt to to get an MOT test certificate? Does it need an engine, electrical system etc or is a straight frame and front and rear brakes enough?

Edit: Just noticed Pete asked a similar question, sorry about that. Still interested to know for the engine/electrics  ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:39:08 PM by imperialdata »

Re: What is the bare minimum required for an MOT test?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:28:19 PM »
I remember taking an RD125LC for an MOT without a clutch cable many moons ago and it wasn't even an advisory (the bike failed on a few other bits still tho lol)

slim

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
Evening gents  :D

The simple answer is to get an MOT the tester needs to run the bike & then its back to the basics of, steering/suspension......... lights........brakes, thats what the 3 triangles in the MOT sign stand for by the way  ;)

There isnt any real short cut & VOSA are pretty hot on dodgy testers who try it on !

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:18:54 PM »
Thanks Slim, was sure I read somewhere that you could pass the MOT without an engine. Another urban myth!

slim

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 11:54:53 PM »
just a litte more on the subject so that you know why a working engine is needed to pass an mot

First & most obvious is by the letter of the law i need to hear it run to assess if its too loud (see other post on exhausts)

Other less obvious reasons are .....
Any tester should turn the bars & rev the bike to see if the revs hang or rise on full lock (very common problem) also some bikes & particularly scooters need to be running to check the lights, i should also check for fuel leaks both before i run the bike & with it running, any leak means the immediate end of test