BikeMeet

1963 Cushman Eagle

RD

1963 Cushman Eagle
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
Thanks guys and thanks Katana for the links!  Yeah, about the welds.... I looked at the floorboards for a long time and then called a few people that do restorations and found out that they were in fact welded on.  To remove the large dowel that holds them in place I had to either put a notch in the floorboard to remove the dowel or cut them off.  Well, the dowels were frozen so I had to cut them to remove the boards and then heat what was left and beat them with a punch and a hammer.  The boards are still in fair condition but I will probably just replace them.  The replacement boards have a notch in them so if you want to remove the dowel pin it is a little easier.  Same deal with the pedals....welded.  I ground down the welds to where I could see the shaft.... got them apart with a hammer and a punch.  Overall, no damage to anything.  I got about half the frame blasted but I think I am going to have to let the powder coater finish it.  The blasting tank in my father's shop is big but isn't going to quite cut it...the frame is just too big for me to hit it at all the angles I need.  Credit goes to my dad who has a small but busy shop that he restores old Triumphs BSA's etc.  He has a lot more tools and knowledge that he can pass on.  Fun time!

Radar

1963 Cushman Eagle
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 12:14:32 AM »
I showed the pictures of the Cushman to my brother who is a big Harley Davidson fan and he was amazed at the sight of the mini HD look of the Eagle.

Your Dad sounds and interesting chap, you should get him to post too...our classic section could do with a boost, but i bet he would enjoy reading about Red Marley hillclimb for example:

http://www.bikemeet.net/index.php?topic=6614

http://www.bikemeet.net/index.php?topic=4008

In the meantime keep us updated with your progress
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:15:55 AM by Radar »

RD

1963 Cushman Eagle
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 12:43:05 AM »
I will Radar thanks.  The more I look at pictures on line
the more I believe what I have is from 1963 instead
of 1953.  Lots of parts available when the need arises.

Radar

1963 Cushman Eagle
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
How many Cushmans are left now?